Matulaitis Home is named for Blessed George Matulaitis
The Matulaitis Rehabilitation and Skilled Care facility was founded and sponsored by the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM). It was opened in 1968.
Matulaitis Home is named after Blessed George Matulaitis, the founder of the Sisters’ congregation. Archbishop George Matulaitis was a man who devoted his life to God through service of His people, whose human dignity and precious individuality he continually emphasized. The Congregation of the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the BVM was founded in Lithuania in 1918 and has a long history of caring for the aged and sick. The Sisters worked in various charitable organizations, social services, homes for the aged, and assisted the aged who were still living in the community.
In 1936, at the invitation of the Marian Fathers, five Sisters came to the United States to work at Marianapolis Preparatory School in Thompson, CT. In 1942 they opened a home for the aged in Thomspon called Villa Maria. As the Villa Maria residents aged, their need for medical assistance increased. In response to the evolving need, the Sisters obtained a license for a rest home with nursing supervision in 1961. In 1968, upon request of the Lithuanian community in the USA for their aging immigrant population, the Sisters built this facility — with support from the Lithuanian community and government grants — to help the seriously ill and dying, providing them comfort and nursing care until the end of their lives.
Thus, Matulaitis Nursing Home was born, bringing skilled care and nursing to the senior community as both a nursing home and rehabilitation center, and as a resource for elder care. Blessed George took his motto from St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans 12:21, seen in his coat of arms pictured above: “Vince malum in bono,” that is, “Conquer evil with good.” The Sisters embrace this as their motto as well, and so it is the motto of Matulaitis Home: Good Conquers!
As our facility has grown and the industry has changed, Matulaitis has grown, too. We continue to maintain our Catholic identity and our roots with the Sisters, while providing modern, state-of-the-art medical care and amenities. Today pastoral care receives increasing support in the general medical and scientific community, which acknowledges that faith has an important role in the healing process of the sick and in fostering serenity to the dying.
Please see our special timeline developed on the occasion of our 50th anniversary, and the Story of the Sisters of the Immaculate Conceptions of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Our Previous Logo
The prior logo of Matulaitis Home logo displays Christ (pictured in a monstrance) at the center. Christ radiates truth, love, and mercy. The two branches below symbolize our staff members and the residents. The “M” serves two purposes: to remind us that we are under the protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It also reminds us that we have our roots through Blessed George Matulaitis.